1rst version Mitchell with 5 on the foot.

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Rockman

1rst version Mitchell with 5 on the foot.

Post by Rockman »

I have been collecting vintage tackle for about 40 years, I learned to fish with a zebco, then moved up to the Mitchell spinning reel, then got into fly fishing which I still do. I recently acquired an old Mitchell half bail 1rst version with a number 5 on the reel foot which indicates it is a very early 1939-1940 reel with came with 2 extra spools in their round cases (3 cases total). The reel is incredibly smooth and in very good condition. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it has any significant value and how many were made and still around. I was thinking of fishing with it till I realized it was a 1rst version early reel.
I did not see if I could post photos here, am I just missing it?

GreatLaker

Re: 1rst version Mitchell with 5 on the foot.

Post by GreatLaker »

Rockman, Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum!! :text-welcomeconfetti:
Well you certainly made an entrance for your first post, we all get excited when we hear of another first version discovery!!
Just to be sure, you are speaking about a Mitchell (300) first version aren't you?
Please Please post some photos of your reel and the spools, etc. We are very anxious to see what you have. :banana-wrench:

Where to find Instructions on how to post photos:
>Select Forums tab
>Select Board Index
>Select first topic called: "Group Instructions News & Events".
>Scroll down under where it says: "Topics" on the banner header
>Scroll until you come to the post titled: "HOW TO ADD PICTURES TO YOUR POST"
That should start you on your way.
Hold on to that reel and spools for now, it could be very valuable! :o
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Thanks Bill
This forum looks like it should help me figure out what I have, and hopefully correct me where I am wrong. Due to my age, I am slowly selling off my old lure collection along with reels. I am not trying to become an expert on the reels, but just know enough that I can honestly note what I have to sell when the time comes. I recently sold a few lures for about 25 cents on the dollar due to lack of knowledge. Would like to try and avoid doing that again.
I am basing this only on what little I know and have read that the number 5 was only stamped on the first version. Someone did point out that the reel handle should be wood, mine is not.
B2BEBC1A-A31A-4475-BD53-D28298E957F3.jpeg
B2BEBC1A-A31A-4475-BD53-D28298E957F3.jpeg (640.34 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Attachments
3A71238D-5D82-4E11-840A-FD39B017C050.jpeg
3A71238D-5D82-4E11-840A-FD39B017C050.jpeg (668.39 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
8BD107A7-9034-4591-926F-C7E344105AE3.jpeg
8BD107A7-9034-4591-926F-C7E344105AE3.jpeg (692.48 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Rockman,
Based on your pictures, you have a 3rd version Mitchell. The early third version reels 1946/1949 had no serial numbers but can have a single other number like the 5 on yours. In the two or three years after that there were serial numbers placed on the back of the gearcase, opposite the handle. They can be hard to see, so look closely.
Prices vary on fishing tackle from year to year, and even season by season. If I want to know what an item is worth, I check out eBay's completed sales list. Most of common fishing tackle will, usually, be listed in multiples. It's a pretty good reference of going prices of fishing reels and fishing lures.

You can see a couple pictures of a first version at the bottom of the forum list in the "Show & Tell All Things Mitchell" forum.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Rockman,
I totally agree with Ted. Those photos are terrific and help us a lot. Please include a photo of the side of the reel opposite of the handle side. By the way, your handle shaft is an early one but the handle knob is much later. You can find original handles with wooden knobs (very rare) and metal knobs that use the same shaft as yours.
I can't tell if your aluminum container has threads or not, how about a photo of the sides? Push on tops without threads are quite hard to find now days. If you remove the spool by pushing the silver button in the center of the front of the spool and pull it straight off the reel, you can see the baffle plate. A photo of that will also give us some more good information.

If you post more photos I can give you a few tips on selling your reel.
I can help with any other Mitchell 300 reels you have as well.
Kind Regards,

Ted,
You are spot on as always. Thanks you so much for all you do. :banana-angel: :banana-angel:
Bill :D

Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Thank you both for your insight on this reel, I may have to take it fishing, it is incredibly smooth in its use. I will get it out and take some more photos as you suggested.
Many Thanks
Will

Rockman

Post by Rockman »

Here are a couple of other views.
Attachments
E3B1AF7E-A7AF-49CA-B11D-BEEB613B0310.jpeg
E3B1AF7E-A7AF-49CA-B11D-BEEB613B0310.jpeg (105.89 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
A1035B0E-8268-4950-B9B6-E31A521D54BF.jpeg
A1035B0E-8268-4950-B9B6-E31A521D54BF.jpeg (101.32 KiB) Viewed 2667 times

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Bill,
Thanks for your kind remark and on adding what I should have about the handle.
Some days I can't find the milk in the fridge.

Rockman,
It would be an early 3rd version without a serial number anywhere.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Agree with Ted. A very early third version indicated by the very squared off foot and non-chamfered crank handle counterweight which seems original to the reel given the overall condition of all. In general, a well preserved early third version. Would be cool to see the main and transfer gear. Start the bid at $50 and see where it goes.

Sandman

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

I am told that a recent translation of factory production documents suggest the third version half bail was first made in 1951 and it is well documented that they gained serial numbers in 1952, so that would appear to date your reel quite precisely.

}<)))'> Bailarm
Rockman

Post by Rockman »

I tried selling on EBay, not a single bid🙁. Guess I’m taking it fishing😉. Thank you everyone with your help and comments, great site to learn about Mitchell’s.

JohnEboy

Post by JohnEboy »

Rockman wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:32 pm I tried selling on EBay, not a single bid🙁. Guess I’m taking it fishing😉. Thank you everyone with your help and comments, great site to learn about Mitchell’s.
That is quite surprising, it looks a lovely reel .

Perhaps it is meant to stay with you for a spot of fishing .

John