Using mitchell reels

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Grahamwin

Using mitchell reels

Post by Grahamwin »

Hi Mitchell Mates - what are members opinions on their favourite Mitchell reels to fish with ?
I will admit that the earlier 300 series are very well engineered and made with better metal than the later ones.
When it comes to fishing I have a great likening for the Garcia Mitchell 410 and the 300A double red-band that were made in the seventies when Mitchell was still making them in France. The faster retrieve ratio and roller bearings make these reels nice to use.
Grahamwin

Ted Lanham

Re: Using mitchell reels

Post by Ted Lanham »

Grahamwin,

When I'm able to spend some time on the water, I take my old 410 and 308 Mitchells.
They have never failed me. :)

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Crappie54

Post by Crappie54 »

I use a 308A, 408, and A CAP 304 for Crappie at least 2 or 3 time a week. I really like the 408 paired with a 5 foot 2 piece Conolon rod I picked up at a flee market. I have the CAP on a Eagle Claw rod which was a gift from my fishing buddy. Looking for 1 more Conolon 5 ft rod for the 308A.

allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Hi, I moved on from the 300 a few years ago for carp fishing to the 400 Roller bearing, which takes some beating for modern fishing almost the same as the 300 Pro except for the handle, it comes with a silent AR that can easily be changed for the clicker type AR if that's your preference, high speed return with a longer handle, a very under valued reel, which sells at a lower price here in the UK compared to the 410, 410A and 300A, I also still use a Match with a Robin Harris float rod, both from the late sixties, in the end its like cars, what ever floats your boat. Tight Lines Allan

tholmes

Post by tholmes »

While I enjoy fishing with all of my Mitchells, the two that I enjoy using the most are the 409 and the 411. So smooth and very solid. I get a lot of comments from some of the other "seasoned" fishermen at the local lakes! Lots of stories about Mitchell reels from the good ol' days.

Tom

JDurbin75

Post by JDurbin75 »

I use 301 Mitchell reels to target carp
I upgraded the drag with carbon fiber and use 401 handle on it
I’ve caught carp up to mid reels with 301 Mitchell with no issues

JDurbin75

Post by JDurbin75 »

JDurbin75 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:30 pm I use 301 Mitchell reels to target carp
I upgraded the drag with carbon fiber and use 401 handle on it
I’ve caught carp up to mid reels with 301 Mitchell with no issues

I’m going use my 307 & 407 Mitchell reels to target flatheads at local lake

JDurbin75

Post by JDurbin75 »

I have a few 307s and 407s
I’m going to use one of those to target flatbread next year at local lake

reynolds531

Post by reynolds531 »

I have been doing a fair bit of river fishing these past few weeks in Canada. It has mostly been spinning with lures. Of the four Mitchells that I have been using (300, 330, 308 and a 304) I would give the 304 the top spot. The one niggle that I have with it is that the handle can come loose much more than the other Mitchells. I notice how hefty the 300 is after a day of casting. I am not a big fan of the 330 auto bail. I really, really want to love the 308 and I have been frustrated using it with the lines that I have spooled on it. One is Sufix 10' 832 and the other is SunFire Super FC 8' fluorocarbon. Prior to this I had never used braid or fluorocarbon line. I was always a monofilament user. I seem to have a lot of line tangles especially with the Sufix. I noticed this on two other non Mitchell reels that I used. Once it knots up it is impossible for me to untangle it. I had done some research prior to spooling these lines and they seemed to be the best value. I have had much better luck with PowerPro braid on the 300 reel. I have respooled one of the 308 spools with some relatively inexpensive 15' test braid from Canadian Tire and I will give it a go next week. I use the word "relatively" as braided line is almost double the cost in Canada as compared to the US.

JDurbin75

Post by JDurbin75 »

I’ve tried power pro braid and it does work
But, I’m going to give this yo-zuri hybrid line
It’s a fluorocarbon and mono combined

JDurbin75

Post by JDurbin75 »

reynolds531 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:03 pm I have been doing a fair bit of river fishing these past few weeks in Canada. It has mostly been spinning with lures. Of the four Mitchells that I have been using (300, 330, 308 and a 304) I would give the 304 the top spot. The one niggle that I have with it is that the handle can come loose much more than the other Mitchells. I notice how hefty the 300 is after a day of casting. I am not a big fan of the 330 auto bail. I really, really want to love the 308 and I have been frustrated using it with the lines that I have spooled on it. One is Sufix 10' 832 and the other is SunFire Super FC 8' fluorocarbon. Prior to this I had never used braid or fluorocarbon line. I was always a monofilament user. I seem to have a lot of line tangles especially with the Sufix. I noticed this on two other non Mitchell reels that I used. Once it knots up it is impossible for me to untangle it. I had done some research prior to spooling these lines and they seemed to be the best value. I have had much better luck with PowerPro braid on the 300 reel. I have respooled one of the 308 spools with some relatively inexpensive 15' test braid from Canadian Tire and I will give it a go next week. I use the word "relatively" as braided line is almost double the cost in Canada as compared to the US.
Hercules brand braid works just as good as power pro ok 300/301. Plus the Hercules is much cheaper

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Depends what I fish for 300 Channel Cats.
308 Trout, Bass , and Smaller Fish.
Also 304 is on the go block.
Best one however has to be the 308, just got into them and really like em.

don309

Post by don309 »

The 308, in my opion I wouldn't go higher than 6lb. maybe 8lb. After all it is a UL reel. I'm all about saving money, and will try anything once. The more inexpensive lines I use are Pline flouro and Hercules braid. Hercules is a knock off of PowerPro, I have used both and see no differance, except Hercules is 1/2 the price (ebay).

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
linewinder

Post by linewinder »

Don, does the Hercules get fuzzy with use?

don309

Post by don309 »

linewinder, if it does I haven't noticed it. And I use it in saltwater.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Noodle1275

Post by Noodle1275 »

I use quite a few for fishing
New here btw I was on the old one before it went pop them forgot about it until today having found a half bail.
Anyway mine get used for most everyday fishing bar lure pike and big carp rods. That is almost every one they've made with the exception of the 410a the only one I don't get on with (bail springs.....)
Off to look how to post a picture

Noodle1275

Post by Noodle1275 »

Looked at the photo post couldn't see how to do it from a mobile so hopefully the link to my picture works.

Some of mine

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D1cWYN7WTygCQGd48