Rebuilding,refinishing

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
shootrj2003

Rebuilding,refinishing

Post by shootrj2003 »

I read a couple of older posts on this subject,as to repainting I encourage those who do so to try a product called Brownells“Alumablack”available only through Brownells gunsmith supply( as far as I know)- it is a Brownells product.
It is specifically formulated for aluminum and very durable,and also is the perfect satin black for Mitchels ,it goes beyond just a spray paint as far as durability in my experience,I’ve used it on guns,and Mitchel reels,it can be used on other metals but really “shines” on aluminum.I’m a cheapskate,and did not find it real expensive but more than just paint if I remember,but well worth it.

GreatLaker

Re: Rebuilding,refinishing

Post by GreatLaker »

Shootrj2003,
How about a photo or two of a finished Mitchell with the product? Would love to see what it looks like on a reel.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

I’ll look through my Mitchell’s I have to remember which ones I did ,it’s been a couple years,and they look the same as the factory finish very nearly,I will send pics asap

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

Are you speaking of the paint product (Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Epoxy Based Firearms Finish (Semi-Gloss Black))?

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I have repainted about 10 Mitchells, all of them 300’s. I have a 304, a 308 and a 486. None of these that I have repainted are in collector class, repainting them should give a new lease on their life.

All of them had the aluminum parts treated with a corrosion treatment to remove deposits and coat the surface. This was done by a buddy at work. The first few were primed with grey spray can auto primer, then with spray can black paint. Later I found a primer more suited to aluminum that had zinc chromate in it but was tougher than zinc chromate primer. These were sprayed with the same black paint. We get a variety of spray can brands, I Probably used Tremclad, Rustoleum and Krylon. As for primer, zinc chromate is getting hard to find, it is quite toxic. I wish I had a dollar for every gallon of it that I have run through a spray gun when I was an aircraft refinisher.

I believe that my painting efforts are better than the original factory coating. I love Mitchells, but their finish, not so much.

Best wishes to all of you

Glen in Nova Scotia