308/408e anti-reverse dog and spring installation

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
reynolds531

308/408e anti-reverse dog and spring installation

Post by reynolds531 »

Here I am posting again about 308s. I picked up a very nice 408. It needs a little cleaning and lubrication. I managed to let the reverse dog pop off of the spring on disassembly. I hate when that happens. Even worse, I took apart a perfectly working 308 to examine the spring and dog assembly and......popped off the spring. I can see how how the spring tag needs to sit under the dog to put tension on the dog. My question is how do you get the spring to set on the dog? Any tricks/maneuvers to do this? Much appreciated.

jtwill98

Re: 308/408e anti-reverse dog and spring installation

Post by jtwill98 »

In the attached picture, the spring should rest on the anti-reverse dawg just below the circle. Image
Attachments
Mitchell 308 AR dawg.jpg
Mitchell 308 AR dawg.jpg (296.79 KiB) Viewed 5450 times

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

A better photo:
DSC413.jpg
DSC413.jpg (108 KiB) Viewed 5445 times

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Reynolds’s, yes, there are two tricks to get the dawg and spring back in the correct position. First, as shown in twills first photo, place the a/r lever in the engaged position (as when the dog clicks on the main gear). Next, place the dawg and spring in position without slipping the dog down onto the dawg post. The dawg will be somewhat over the post and somewhat over the A/R lever block. Rotate the dawg toward the proper position until it slips off the A/R lever post and onto the dawg post. Do this without the main gear in place.

Sandman

reynolds531

Post by reynolds531 »

Thank you for the replies. I was able to finally position the dog with the spring on top. I put a good dab of grease on the post where the "C" of the spring needs to position. This helped keep the spring in place. That took care of the 408. Of course, when I went to reassemble the 308 that I had opened to observe the spring and dog I managed to have the spring pop out while placing it on the post. It landed somewhere on my kitchen floor. After numerous attempts on my hands and knees with a flashlight, gentle sweeping and finally vacuuming the floor and going through the contents I confess that I have lost the spring. It is always something. Someone has them for sale on Ebay for about $5.

reynolds531

Post by reynolds531 »

Oh and another problem. With the 408 reassembled and a new bail spring I noticed the the threaded fitting in the rotor for the non-spring side appears to be stripped. It won't tighten and the bail flips only to the half way point. I tried some non-permanent Locktite and it seemed to make things worse. With the screw out, the bail flips appropriately. Of course there is now nothing to hold the bail in position securely. I should return it to the seller and I won't as I think that it is still good to fish with. It might require a bit of manual bail positioning.

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

You could post the story here: https://alantani.com/index.php/board,110.0.html and foakes will reply within 24 hours with an offer for a replacement spring.

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

reynolds531,
It sounds like you have a problem with the bail not working correctly that is common with the 308/408 reels. The bail may be bent a little and that is causing the bail to bind when you have both bail screws in and not fully open. Ordinarily, you could just adjust the bail to where the opposite side of the spring is centered and flush on where the screw goes in and the problem is fixed. It might a bit of tinkering, but it usually will work. Now, the problem with the stripped threads is something that take some innovation.

Ted Lanham

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Stripped threads in the bail arm post: I might try filling with JBWeld and/or an epoxy and turning in the screw as a perm fix, knowing the head is a lost cause.

Sandman

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Just replace rotor. Should be able to find one.