Unfamiliar reel definitely Mitchell

Here you can show off your collection or share your favorite Mitchell fishing reels, catches and spots!
shootrj2003

Unfamiliar reel definitely Mitchell

Post by shootrj2003 »

I picked this up at a yard sale with a bunch of other Mitchell items,all in all a good day,can we I’d it it for me? The only words are on the rotor “Skirt” “Brevette SDGD FRANCE” I’ve never had a 308 but it’s small like a 308 ,I’ve tried a 300 spool but does not smoothly install but it looks the right size or nearly so ,any help?my pictures are too big and I cant figure out how to convert them with my converter app after they updated it.spool is definatly to big but not by much. Post a good close pic of a 308?

don309

Re: Unfamiliar reel definitely Mitchell

Post by don309 »

If you go to the index instruction page. Wallace and I tell how we add pictures. Note where I crop the picture use the left button.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

Thanks for that,I did however ,after much searching,I’D my reel,as I thought ,it isn’t a 308, it is a 324.I was unfamiliar with this reel,but now it’s freshly serviced and I know more about it,also the Penn is a small ultra light that seems to have a respectable history with some fisherman I’d like to hear more on both if any body can contribute.

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

The 324 cleaned up and lubed,works well,but,it’s not quite as good a reel as a 300,if your not careful it can get line wrapped up in the rotor area,not that it is a big problem but it did to me while stringing it with some flourocarbon carbon that I had on hand and was wanting to try out( I have never used flourocarbon) it s a bit stiffer ,but other than getting wound up in the rotor and causing conniptions it works! That may have been my fault I’m not sure but it’s design leaves it quite open to line getting inside the works also the stiffnes of flourocarbon and being quit full may have caused and errant loop of line to drop down and a4ound the rotor ,I was reeling it in when things jammed up and flourocarbon has no stretch so it jams things up quite well!