MADE IN TAIWAN, MITCHELL 300

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Bonaventure

MADE IN TAIWAN, MITCHELL 300

Post by Bonaventure »

GOOD DAY MiTCHELL MATES,

i am posting this as a guide to identifying these reels that may be found for sale in our usual source points.

There are some obvious differences in these reels as opposed to the French made 300"s.

- The antireverse mechanism is different. It is made of metal and has a little sheet metal bracket that goes between it and the gear to keep it in alignment.

-The foot stem, where it meets the case part of the casting is thicker front to back than the French Version.it tapers from the case to the bend of the foot stem. At the case it is about twice as wide. The front of the stem at the case has a small rounded filet shape tapered into it. "TAIWAN" is cast into the underside of the foot.

- The pinion gears do not have 45 degree gear teeth. The one on the case is like a crown with 90 degree gear teeth and a depressed center. It is also larger in diameter than the gear attached to the rotor. It is also made of aluminum alloy. The gear on the rotor is brass and has straight gears.

- There is a red gasket between the case and the case cover.

- There is a plastic plate that says MITCHELL 300 on the case cover. it is upside down when the reel is operated. I have seen MITCHELL 300A plates that are similar, the reel that I worked on was a 300. the plate is pinned through 2 holes and the pins are melted flat to the inside of the case cover to hold them in place. I don't have a bail in my

- The Bail Ends are bigger and have a smaller screwhead than the French versions.

- Some of these features are visible only on disassembly, but the MITCHELL plate, the wider foot stem and the different looking Bail are there to see.

Hope this helps to differentiate between the French and the later Taiwanese version of the 300 series reels. I am not saying that the Taiwan versions are not good reels, but they are outside the purview of this website. I wouldn't shy away from one if I got it at a good price, it would be a fisher, maybe I would have it refinished in some Good Quality Coating to use in Salt Water.

All the best

Glen in Nova Scotia

GreatLaker

Re: MADE IN TAIWAN, MITCHELL 300

Post by GreatLaker »

Glen,
I am also interested in later Mitchell 300 reels, especially the 300A series. I would just like to add, for those who may not be familiar with all of the later Mitchell 300 reels, that most of the features Glen points out in his post (regarding Taiwanese made reels) are also found on the Mitchell 300A series of reels, which are included in the scope of this website. 8-) I say this to simply point out that reels with a: reinforced reel stem, plastic name badge, multi-piece bail, and silent anti reverse, are not all made in Taiwan and that is not what Glen is saying.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Thanks for saying that..........but............

I really did not know that about a 300A. The thing is, the Taiwan reel has TAIWAN on the bottom of the foot. It would appear that it may have used a 300A as the model to copy. I don't know if a Mitchell 300A has France or made in France on the reel. I may have assumed that the 300A was made in Taiwan. :text-imsorry: for this if I did.

Thanks

Glen

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Glen,
No apology needed Mate, it's all good! I don't think anybody would mind if you could post a few photos of your reel. I know I would love to see them.

Kind Regards,

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I only have access to some parts, at work. The reel that I serviced belongs to a work acquaintance. I gave the part to him from a junked reel that I had.

I am not very good at posting photos.

Thanks, Bill, for posting the info about the 300A, it helps to clarify what was found in the later models from France to those of the Taiwan era.

All the best.

Glen

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

I would not feel out of place in mentioning this reel,I have one in perfect working condition,while the mechanics are a bit different than my 5 other 300’s ,which incidentally,are all in excellent mechanical working condition,I have been using them for years for cat fishing and general fishing use in freshwater,it is still an excellent reel ,and just another step in the history of this fine reel.if I found a boxed original,forgive me but it would want to fish.unused any mechanical contrivance is just a lump of various metals,it’s purpose is -use -to move,to do it’s intended job
…..Am I wrong?…….I ask you,do I not bleed?

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello,
Just a few photos to show the differences between the latest version of the 300A (1988) and the 300 Made in Taiwan.
The mechanisms are a little different, some less thick on Taiwan.
Note a foundry marking (CY on the body) on the Taiwan, FL on the 300A.
Best regards,
CL
300A TAIWAN .jpg
300A TAIWAN .jpg (396.18 KiB) Viewed 15045 times
300A TAIWAN BATI.jpg
300A TAIWAN BATI.jpg (200.95 KiB) Viewed 15045 times
300A TAIWAN BOL.jpg
300A TAIWAN BOL.jpg (195.63 KiB) Viewed 15045 times
300A TAIWAN COUV.jpg
300A TAIWAN COUV.jpg (178.21 KiB) Viewed 15045 times

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Alors Christiane,

C'est de bon renseignment, nous tous remercier vous pour votre connaisance et bonte. Merci encore.

Just to thank you Christian for your knowledge and good will in providing and imparting so much toward this site and it's members.

Glen

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello Glen,

As long as I am still able to share my knowledge, I will do so, I have less time left than time spent!
Best regards,
CL

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Have not checked the one I have.
If memory serves me, first use bail arm broke, so hung it up for a long time, when I started picking up used 300's, took the old style bail arm and replaced the junk that was on it.
To my amazement it worked, every now and then will use it.
Functions fine.
I could not get parts for it.
So do what works.

allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Simplex wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:42 pm Hello,
Just a few photos to show the differences between the latest version of the 300A (1988) and the 300 Made in Taiwan.
The mechanisms are a little different, some less thick on Taiwan.
Note a foundry marking (CY on the body) on the Taiwan, FL on the 300A.
Best regards,
CL
300A TAIWAN .jpg
300A TAIWAN BATI.jpg
300A TAIWAN BOL.jpg
300A TAIWAN COUV.jpg
Hi, What a excellent comparison, whilst noticing the subtle difference in the Taiwan reels, I noticed the quality did not feel the same, i have had many Taiwan reels almost new looking with broken gears looking like the transfer gear or anti reverse dog had broken up taking out the silent metal anti reverse dog and gears with cast aluminium debris, a easy fix using french made parts, in the last ten years Taiwan reels were hard to sell, in the past few years they go quicker maybe the new wave of fishermen are buying the better looking condition reels, I have had almost new looking reels with smashed gears when repaired sell quickly. Without doing a comparison the 300 and 300a Taiwan reels look the same apart from the cover badge, this observation is from a restorer, regards Allan

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Bought one new when they came out, large bail mount broke on second cast, called Mitchell , was told no parts available for that reel.
Asked if I could replace bail assembly with older style, was told was not good idea.
Did it anyway, without any modification.
Imagine, Reel worked perfect, actually is a good reel.
Goes to show you, sometimes it pays to do what you AR told not too.
I tend to stay away from, these, (any of the models made in Taiwan) sold several and have not had any issues.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

:text-lol:

I have been known not to do what I am told.

Glen in Nova Scotia

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Only thing I like are the CarboN/graphite spools.
Have been using them on all my Personal Reels.
On a 308 increase the casting distance.
Also improve my 300's.
Bought one new when they came out, bail attachment broke on second cast.(made of plastic).
Replaced bail wire with old style one, Reel works great.
I sell a few. Working correctly they are ok.

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

I will say this that although different with ,if I remember,no parts interchangeability,the Taiwan reels were excellent reels,just as reliable and rugged ,just..uh.. different and I wasn’t aware that that style was mfg.previous to moving it to Taiwan either.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Mates,
If someone were to ask me what are the differences between the original 300 and the 300A, I would have to ask, which versions, as the 300A like the original 300 evolved over time.

In my opinion, the most noticeable features for the newer 300A were; the new M8 gears, the addition of a roller line guide on the bail, improved thicker paint, a gasket between the cover plate and the housing, a plastic name badge on the cover plate, and the addition of an information band on the rotor. Many other lessor changes occurred on the 300A reels, both inside and out, right up til the end of production in France around 1988-1989.

As the original Mitchell 300 8th version was being produced in France, the 300A started production along side them. For a couple years Garcia sold the 300A in the US and Europe but then went bankrupt.

After Garcia went bankrupt, Browning took over distribution of Mitchell reels in the US and abroad. After several years, Browning stopped distributing Mitchell reels and the business was turned over to Mitchell Sports. When Mitchell of France went out of business Mitchell Sports kept things running but they were facing stiff competition from fishing reel manufacturers in the Pacific Rim. Cheap labor there, verse labor costs in Europe and the USA, put many companies out of business.

Eventually, Mitchell Sports decided to send production to the Pacific Rim, namely Taiwan at first. The 300A was discontinued when production left France and the name 300 was changed back. The newly renamed 300 reels resembled the 300A reels more than the original 300 reels. These were tough times for Mitchell Sports and they were eventually bought out.
The story of what changes were made from the original Mitchell 300 to the 300A and then to the revived 300 are long and detailed which I will leave for another time.

The revived 300 reels (Taiwan Reels) also went through many changes as well as ownership of the Mitchell name.

Kind Regards,

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

:text-imsorry: But… that’s what this discussion was about,the changes in the 300 to 300a to 300 Taiwan and so forth and so on -we were almost at the end of the journey ,the final level ,the last door ! Does it not seem a bit wrong to stop this discussion now?let’s put it in context….Indiana Jones is looking across the room at the treasure with the booby trapped floor and poison darts all ready to finish up ,and he knows the solution then says…let’s not do this now ,we can come back some other time ,you know? We’ll talk about it later…. Instant box office flop!Probably no sequels either……think about it…? :oops: :x

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

It always seem to me that the later, French made, 300 reels are just a 300A without the badge.

They have a red gasket and M8 gears. They have the later, steel, 3-piece bail arm.

I recently had two reels here for service. One was a Christmas present from the owners late parents, the other a birthday present bought a few months later, both bought from the same tackle shop. The first was a late French reel the second an early Taiwanese reel.

Simplex's images above cover the changes rather well, Merci Christian.

The big change for me was the ridged steel insert in the rotor replacing the brass bushing of before. It's length was wrong and the reel had been assembled with TWO spacers under the baffle plate to compensate. Another change was the brass insert and bushing to the bail trigger which Simplex has drawn our attention to in his fifth image.

To be frank, the late French reel was no better made than the Taiwanese one. Cheap materials and fast assembly parts, such as cross-point screws, seem to have been the order of the day. That said, both reels were in near-perfect condition and just needed cleaning and re-lubing as well as a few slight shim changes and will be good for another 30 years now.

}<)))'> Bailarm
GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

shootrj2003 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:51 pm :text-imsorry: But… that’s what this discussion was about,the changes in the 300 to 300a to 300 Taiwan and so forth and so on -we were almost at the end of the journey ,the final level ,the last door ! Does it not seem a bit wrong to stop this discussion now?let’s put it in context….Indiana Jones is looking across the room at the treasure with the booby trapped floor and poison darts all ready to finish up ,and he knows the solution then says…let’s not do this now ,we can come back some other time ,you know? We’ll talk about it later…. Instant box office flop!Probably no sequels either……think about it…? :oops: :x
Well, my purpose here was to try and correct the perception that the Mitchell 300 was followed by what you call the "300 Taiwan". The importance of the 300A, at least partly, was to set the stage for the revised Mitchell "300 Taiwan", but the 300A is a French made reel and only after it, did the others follow.

Yes, there is more to the story, but this is my stop, and someone else will have to continue the voyage after Mitchell left France. After all, this is a true story and I am not the author but merely someone following in the shadow and footsteps of our beloved Wallace Carney. The person who, with others, founded this website, and blazed the knowledge trail of the "Classic 300 Spinning Reel" with his book and has given us countless hours of his time so that we can enjoy this wonderful hobby, which many love and enjoy.

Kind Regards,
Bill

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

And I ,as well as others here,I’m sure, thank you for your time and efforts.