CAP reel planamatic system

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Simplex

CAP reel planamatic system

Post by Simplex »

Hello
Attached the photos of the CAP reel conforming to patent N ° 1,107,456 filed December 19, 1952 in Paris, issued August 10, 1953 and published January 3, 1956 for France.
The patent was also filed for abroad under the n ° 2,726,
I publish all the details of this reel including the photo of the side opposite the crank which shows the locations of the two mounting pins of the system.
This reel is in my opinion very rare.
Note that the parts are the reverse of the type 304 reels which will be marketed later, I think because the reassembly of the reel was less easy than on the following ones.
Best regards,
CL
CAP PLANA.jpg
CAP PLANA.jpg (383.2 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
CAP PLANA 2.jpg
CAP PLANA 2.jpg (383.5 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
CAP PLANA 3.jpg
CAP PLANA 3.jpg (259.16 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
cap plana0005.jpg
cap plana0005.jpg (199.69 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

Simone Baschirotto

Re: CAP reel planamatic system

Post by Simone Baschirotto »

Congratulations on your reels and above all for the knowledge you show us.
Thank you for this detailed information.
Really your posts accompanied by explanations and pictures are extremely helpful to me.
Cordiali Saluti
Simone

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Simplex wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 pm Hello
Attached the photos of the CAP reel conforming to patent N ° 1,107,456 filed December 19, 1952 in Paris, issued August 10, 1953 and published January 3, 1956 for France.
The patent was also filed for abroad under the n ° 2,726, 052

Hi Christian, This is fascinating. The internal gears and how they were applied I've never seen before. Can you tell us who filed this patent please? Thank you for sharing, Wallace

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Good evening Wallace,

The French patent has been filed by the Limited Liability Company (Socièté A Responsabilité Limitée) known as Établissements Carpano et Pons.
The US patent (US 2,726,052) has been filed by C. PONS.
The first page of this patent has 6 figures and has a handwritten mention
"Inventor
Charles Pons
By his attorneys:
Baldwin & Wight ".
I have these two full patents on file on my computer in PDF format.
This reel is in my opinion one of the most unknown, not to say the most unknown, in the CAP series.
At one time I looked for the Carpano and Mitchell patents and I kept them in paper and computer versions. Since the years have passed and 75 years the memory is no longer the same as twenty years ago, I do not remember on which sites I found all these documents
Beest regards,
CL
brevet US.jpg
brevet US.jpg (220.09 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hello CL and Mates,
Great to see you back in the MRM and contributing your vast knowledge of all Mitchells CL. I completely agree that your particular version of CAP with the very first CAP planamatic gearing is likely the rarest of all of the CAPs. I'm of the opinion that contrary to the common labeling of this reel being a 3rd Version CAP, I think it was actually the 4th version manufactured by Carpano et Pons for La Canne a Peche. More interestingly there were 3 separate variations of this 4th version reel which I believe was developed during WW II and manufactured soon after or while France manufacturing started to return to normal. The fist 2 variations were level wind gearing and the 3rd Variation introduced the world to planamatic gearing. I think all three variations evolved from 1946 to 1949 but regardless, I think the 1st variation became available in around 1946. Here is a 1st Variation of the 4th Version from my collection.
CAP w No AR.jpg
CAP w No AR.jpg (259.36 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
This is a very hard to find CAP. It was a significant change from the 3rd Version as it had a slightly raised but flat faceplate vice the high domed faceplate of the earlier version. All other characteristics are similar but it was a lighter reel from the 3rd Version. There was no anti reverse at this point. I also only learned of this variation through CL - and then it took me several years to actually find one!
The 2nd Variation of the 4th Version introduced the anti-reverse to the CAP reel and this Variation/Version is the most common.
CAP w AR-Box.jpg
CAP w AR-Box.jpg (288.86 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Here are both 1st and 2nd Variations.
4th Version 2nd Release 1946.jpg
4th Version 2nd Release 1946.jpg (159.13 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Here is a copy of the U.S. Patent (it's actually 4 pages) for CL's Planamatic CAP. It follows the French patent filed by about three weeks (French: Dec 19, 52 and U.S.: Jan 5, 53).
CAP Planamatic Patent.jpg
CAP Planamatic Patent.jpg (203.93 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
I have researched and searched for the 3rd Variation of the 4th Version CAP as CL has so graciously shared with us - Actually CL shared this reels existence with me several years ago and I've still not seen another one or documentation outside of the patent material. I believe that this reel is a prototype of a VERY small run of the original planamatic CAPs. Of note, the follow on CAPs were all planamatic gearing until the advent of the Mitchell 314 when the CAP 304 returned to level wind gearing and the CAP 314 was planamatic gearing until the end of the runs for both of these reels in the mid 1970's. I hope you find this post builds on CL's post and informative. The CAP's/304/314/340 are my passion in my Mitchell collection and as always, comments and questions are always welcome.
Kind Regards,
Chris

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello Chris and other Mates,
Chris, thank you for your very informative response.
Another CAP with a particularity: a reinforcement on the PU at the level of the spring.
Besr looks,
Christian
PU CAP1.jpg
PU CAP1.jpg (151.52 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
PU CAP 3.jpg
PU CAP 3.jpg (262.84 KiB) Viewed 2011 times