Reels M34 (Arca Balzer) - Prisu4 without serial number

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Simplex

Reels M34 (Arca Balzer) - Prisu4 without serial number

Post by Simplex »

The reels of this series, identical to the Mitchell 340, do not have an SN while the 340 have an SN engraved on the foot.
I have the M34 in its box which it has, like many Mitchell of this time, a label stuck under the box with the SN. # 3116934. This SN is close to that of the 340.
I wonder why these reels do not have an explanation of SN engraved while the Sn is on the box.
I don't have the answer, maybe someone has an explanation.
Cordially
CL
P1250037.JPG
P1250037.JPG (485.14 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
IMG_20210731_130953442.jpg
IMG_20210731_130953442.jpg (339.28 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
IMG_20210731_131005471.jpg
IMG_20210731_131005471.jpg (305.92 KiB) Viewed 6077 times

Bonaventure

Re: Reels M34 (Arca Balzer) - Prisu4 without serial number

Post by Bonaventure »

Bene, molto bene !!!!

You really surprise us with these unusual versions of Mitchell reels. First blue, now green. Is Baltzer a German brand? Do you have papers for any of these reels? If so, in what language are they printed? I would be suprised if any Mitchell Mate in North America have seen these.

Incredible!

Best wishes to you

Glen in Nova Scotia

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Glen,

Surprise!!
M Series.jpg
M Series.jpg (143.88 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
M Series 1.jpg
M Series 1.jpg (151.9 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
M Series 2.jpg
M Series 2.jpg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
M Series 3.jpg
M Series 3.jpg (166.22 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
Regards,
Chris in Virginia

don309

Post by don309 »

:laughing-rolling: Chris when I saw Glenn's post, I thought how many do you have. And will you post them. Careful of what you say Glenn :o .
:text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos:

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Don and Glen,
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Christian's M34 box is the only box for the M Series Mitchell 340's I have ever seen and like he states, none of my M Series have serial numbers either. However, all of my Mitchell 340's in black do have serial numbers - I can't explain it.

Kind Regards,
Chris

don309

Post by don309 »

I got a good chuckle out of it!

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Chris,

You got me!!!!!

In Simone’s original post, directly above his green M34s, are the French words “EN VENTE”. Which in English means “ ON SALE”

Does this mean he is selling? LOL.

So where did you get these ones Chris? Have you ever seen the blue PAGE M 34?

I should have known that you, Chris would have these if anyone did. I have always admired your collection. It has taken many years I expect to get more than 400 round body Mitchells. :text-bravo:

Hi Don, bonjour Simon.

Keep up the good work. Love this site.

Glen.

Glen

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Glen,
I'm happy that you didn't take my post as unintended - It wasn't meant to be a braggard or offensive. I just thought it was funny! :lol: .
Christian in France has the Green M Series Mitchells in this post and Simone in Italy has the Blue Page 34 in another post. Christian and I have exchanged Mitchell conversations for years and he is probably the most knowledgeable Mitchell Collector that I know. He also has likely the most comprehensive Mitchell collection in the world. Simone is a great new Mitchell collector whose enthusiasm is inspiring and we have exchanged many conversations. I was one of the first to see his blue Page 34 after he found it...I still can't believe it!!
All of my M34's were purchased in Europe from various sellers and they took me several years to acquire all of them. They are not common (as you aptly stated, especially in North America as they were never distributed here) and the PRISU 4 was my most difficult to locate.
Christian is the only one I know of who has a M34 box and I've never seen another one - I've never seen any associated paperwork with these reels. The Balzer M34 was distributed in Germany, the ARCA M34 was distributed in Belgium, the M34 was distributed in the rest of Europe and the PRISU 4 was sold in a particular Department Store in France but all of them are Mitchell 340s....just green.
My total collection is a little over 400 Mitchells of all models and variations but my favorite "round body" Mitchells make up a little over 100 of those. Very few are duplicates and it's taken me about 10 years of collecting, but I'm very particular in what I add to my collection.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Goodness no, It was pretty funny.

I got mixed up with who had the green ones, I thought it was Simone. I believe Christiane (SIMPLEX) had a different name in the previous Museum site. I feel so stupid. I'm getting old and tired, my wife has been very ill. I am still working at 72. I miss details for which I am sorry. Christiane, J'apologise.

I joined the Navy in 1966, as an Aircraft mechanic, changed trades after 6 years and did 25 total. Now I am back to working for the Navy as a civilian storesman, I work in a tool crib.

I remember what the Canadian comedian Red Green said, "You can't stay young, but you can stay immature".

Stay safe everyone

Glen

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Glen,
Not Mitchell related but you and I share similar backgrounds. I joined the U.S. Navy in 1977 and spent the next 30 years operating submarines all over the world. Halifax was always one of my favorite liberty ports and been there many times - The Canadian Sailors were a lot of fun and always great hosts. I retired in 2008 and went to work for the Navy as a civilian designing/building submarine control and weapons systems.....I'm ready to retire again :roll: - More time to play with Mitchells!! I sincerely hope your wife is feeling better soon.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Chris,

I'm happy that you enjoyed Halifax.

Of course, when Canadian sailors go ashore in foreign ports they only attend opera, museums, theatre, ballet art galleries and other cultural activities. I didn't spend very much time at sea. I worked on Grumman Trackers which flew off our only carrier. It was decommissioned in1970. I changed trades in 1972.

Yeah, originally I am from Southern Ontario, a few miles from the St Clair River, near Michigan.

Best to you

Glen

Best wishes

Glen

Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello Chris,

I am not Mitchell's biggest collector but one of the collectors who own a wide variety of reels, from the most humble (often despised) to some very rare. I have practically all the Galion reels, reels made by Mitchell for young anglers, also the low end reels G32, Prisu 32, very low priced reels also made by Mitchell.
Thank you for confirming that your black 340 reels do not have an SN.
Glen, don't be sorry to have confused me with Simone, I changed my name on the new site and as I become lazy I sign CL which is faster to write than Christian !!!
Best regards
CL
PS; like you two I was a soldier, 25 years in the French Air Force as a radio and navigation system technician

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Bonsoir Christian,

I passed four years of my career in Germany, at Lahr. This is close to the Frontier with France, near Strasbourg. It was a nice area at the edge of the Black Forest. I returned to Canada in 1978.

If I remember correctly, your collection is all reels made in France. Your knowledge is a formidable asset for this website.

Best wishes

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

Formidable collections there, gentlemen!

}<)))'> Bailarm
Simone Baschirotto

Post by Simone Baschirotto »

M34 (arca-balzer) Prisu 4 and the rare page34, what I notice in these reels is a search for savings in production on unnecessary parts.
All of these reels have not had a following and have not undergone revisions by Mitchell.
Mitchell knew this from the start and had only planned one production, a serial number on the foot was not needed for service and repair centers or to purchase the correct parts.
A number on the box was needed to fill in purchase and warranty documents.
This is just my hypothesis, Mitchell chose to skip an unnecessary production step, one of the many small tricks that have allowed
to lower the selling price of these particular versions.
I attach the photo of the foot "page34"
Cordiali Saluti.
Simone
Attachments
received_930500604381011.jpeg
received_930500604381011.jpeg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 5947 times