Mitchell 408 Problem

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
don309

Mitchell 408 Problem

Post by don309 »

While I was playing with my 408, It wasn't moving smoothly. I took the rotor head off, only to find bearing falling out of the pinion assembly. I can't use a 308 rotor with the pinion right? Do I need to find a 408 assembly?

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
piscesman

Re: Mitchell 408 Problem

Post by piscesman »

Hi Don, I believe you need to have the 408 pinion to make it useable again. Try looking at a schematic of each reel to determine part numbers. Good Luck.......
Kim

don309

Post by don309 »

Kim, I figure I'd need the assembly. I did locate one. Thanks for the feed back!

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

don309,
That part 82425 doesn't seem to be overly abundant on the net. I have a guy, Dick Janak, that has always had what I needed many times over the years, co you could check with him. His email is [email protected] ,I believe.

Ted Lanham

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Do, it’s true that you can’t use a 308 pinion gear and attached axle sleeve, but you can use 308 pinion bearings and races. So, if you a spare 308 pinion assembly all you need to to is swap the gear/axle sleeve by unscrewing the nut, Alice the 308 gear/sleeve out, slide the 408 gear/sleeve in and your in business. Make sure you hold the bearing race assembly together while you do this or the 17 bearings on each end can fall out…do it over a pie plate. I probably have some spare bearings if you end up a few short. Let me know if you need some. BTW, I only use Quantum Hot Sauce grease in these pinion assemblies. Best grease made for this use.

Sandman

don309

Post by don309 »

Ted, Sandman
I have a guy sending me, an assembly.
Ted: I will try to touch base with Dick, I'm still looking for that trip lever for the 310 UL. I'll use your name if that's okay.
Sandman: Thanks for the information and offer. But I should be good.
Sandman are you the one that tripped out the 308 with 408 gears? I have met some many people & read so much on the internet I forget.
I can't wait to fish this reel, October I have a fall stocking of trout in 2 streams near me.
Well another good experience for me here at MRM :text-thankyouyellow:

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Don, yes, I have converted 308 reels to 408 gearing. It’s quite simple. It only requires swapping out the main gear and pinion gear with 408 Gleason gears and you have a high speed 308.

Sandman

don309

Post by don309 »

I thought it was you. If I ever come across the gears definitely going to do it.